From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:28:19
1 On Dec 10, 2005, at 9:04 pm, Nick Smith wrote:
2 >
3 > ... i know that doesnt answer your knoppix question but i deal
4 > with that crap everyday and i have tried using knoppix a few times and
5 > it had problems with the ntfs partitions. where would you put the
6 > data once you got it? its booted off the cd, so even if it was a
7 > burner how would you burn something when the drive is being used? a
8 > flash drive possibly. but probably the easiest way to get that data
9 > (sorry to say) is get winders functioning again, get your data, and
10 > then blow it away.
11
12 That's funny - I deal with Windows problems all day & everyday & I
13 prefer Knoppix for getting data off failed Windows installations.
14
15 I've never experienced any problems reading from NTFS partitions and
16 prefer to use that than having to worry about a Windows install
17 forgetting to copy "hidden" files (such as Outlook Application Data or
18 Outlook Distress Identities) or something. I have confidence that if I
19 do `cp -rvf * /to/somewhere/` then every file will be copied.
20
21 I use a portable USB hard-drive which Knoppix recognises & makes a
22 /mnt/uba1 (or /mnt/sda1 if I connect it with firewire) entry for and
23 just boot with `knoppix 2`.
24
25 It's interesting how different people do the same thing different ways,
26
27 Stroller.
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list