From: Nick Smith <nick.smith79@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:18:15
1 On 12/10/05, drew@××××××××××××××.net <drew@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4 chipset.
3 > There are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe configuration using the
4 > controller built in to the motherboard. The machine and disks were used as a
5 > Windows XP workstation. Now that Windows installation is hosed up and I'm
6 > using the opportunity to covert this machine to a Gentoo desktop.
7 >
8 > However there is some data on the drive that I'd like to recover before
9 > blowing the disk away. I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and see two
10 > icons on the desktop for my drives. One for sda the other for sdb. I can
11 > not mount either. I assume this is because Knoppix is seeing each drive
12 > individually instead of the one logical striped drive it is.
13 >
14 > Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix to see the
15 > two individual drives as one logical striped drive? I can't recover the data
16 > from booting Windows because it's all screwed up and reboots itself shortly
17 > after logon.
18 >
19 > Thanks,
20 >
21 > Drew
22 > --
23 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
26 what about safe mode? or an overlay install? or even the recovery
27 console? i know that doesnt answer your knoppix question but i deal
28 with that crap everyday and i have tried using knoppix a few times and
29 it had problems with the ntfs partitions. where would you put the
30 data once you got it? its booted off the cd, so even if it was a
31 burner how would you burn something when the drive is being used? a
32 flash drive possibly. but probably the easiest way to get that data
33 (sorry to say) is get winders functioning again, get your data, and
34 then blow it away. which rises a question, if its a hardware raid
35 stripe, i dont think knoppix should be seeing both drives, i thought
36 the hardware controller told it what to see, so it should only see the
37 one raid device, at least that was my take on it. hope some of this
38 helps.
41 Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not
42 worth paying for.
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list