From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:09:02
1 On 12/10/2005 1:04 PM Nick Smith wrote:
2
3 >On 12/10/05, drew@××××××××××××××.net <drew@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4 chipset.
7 >>There are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe configuration using the
8 >>controller built in to the motherboard. The machine and disks were used as a
9 >>Windows XP workstation. Now that Windows installation is hosed up and I'm
10 >>using the opportunity to covert this machine to a Gentoo desktop.
11 >>
12 >>However there is some data on the drive that I'd like to recover before
13 >>blowing the disk away. I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and see two
14 >>icons on the desktop for my drives. One for sda the other for sdb. I can
15 >>not mount either. I assume this is because Knoppix is seeing each drive
16 >>individually instead of the one logical striped drive it is.
17 >>
18 >>Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix to see the
19 >>two individual drives as one logical striped drive? I can't recover the data
20 >>from booting Windows because it's all screwed up and reboots itself shortly
21 >>after logon.
22 >>
23 >>Thanks,
24 >>
25 >>Drew
26 >>--
27 >>gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
32 >what about safe mode?
35 Safe mode with networking still leaves me without networking which I need
36
37 >or an overlay install?
40 Tried that. Still hosed
41
42 >or even the recovery
43 >console?
46 Never had any luck with this. Maybe I just don't know how to use it?
47
48 >i know that doesnt answer your knoppix question but i deal
49 >with that crap everyday and i have tried using knoppix a few times and
50 >it had problems with the ntfs partitions. where would you put the
51 >data once you got it?
54 Was hoping to mount an smbfs filesystem and transfer it to another
55 machine. Hence the need for networking above.
56
57 >its booted off the cd, so even if it was a
58 >burner how would you burn something when the drive is being used? a
59 >flash drive possibly. but probably the easiest way to get that data
60 >(sorry to say) is get winders functioning again, get your data, and
61 >then blow it away. which rises a question, if its a hardware raid
62 >stripe, i dont think knoppix should be seeing both drives, i thought
63 >the hardware controller told it what to see, so it should only see the
64 >one raid device, at least that was my take on it.
67 This is what I thought too.
68
69 >hope some of this
70 >helps.
74 At least I know I'm not the only one confused. :)
75
76 Thanks,
77
78 Drew
81 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
82 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
83
84 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
87 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list