From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 23:31:58
1 On 3/5/2010 2:20 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 05 March 2010 21:09:33 Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> I had already installed gcc-4.3.4 a while back, but still haven't
4 >> switched to it, so currently everything is compiled with 4.1.2.
5
6 > Then switch to 4.3.4
7
8 Very helpful - not. I don't know if it is safe having userspace lvm2
9 tools compiled with a newer/different version of gcc than the kernel
10 (which has lvm2 compiled in). Maybe someone here knows - and maybe
11 that's why I asked.
12
13 >> So, what should I do first? Will the new version of lvm2 work ok
14 >> with the older kernel?
15
16 > Dunno, what does the ebuild say?
17
18 I'm a user, not a programmer. I looked in an ebuild once - it was
19 interesting, but didn't tell me a whole lot. I also have been bitten
20 more than once by major changes to a package that came in a minor
21 version bump that wasn't documented in the ebuild or anywhere else, so
22 I've learned to be careful, especially where critical system updates are
23 concerned (like lvm2, gcc and the kernel).
24
25 My question was directed toward people who use lvm2 and (hopefully) know
26 the answer... googling didn't reveal an answer (or at least I didn't
27 find the proper incantation)...
28
29 So, again, does anyone know if the new version of lvm2 (with integrated
30 device-mapper) will work ok on the 2.6.23 kernel, or is there a minimum
31 version required?
32
33 >> If so I could switch to gcc-4.3.4, fix/update lvm2, then rebuild
34 >> world, then update the kernel later once the boss is ok with it?
35
36 > Just update the kernel and be done with it. This is the thing to do
37 > first and you already know that. So just do it.
38
39 Ever heard of a PHB?
40
41 I don't upgrade the kernel very often, nor have to fix blockers
42 manually, so I'd rather ask a few questions (admitting I don't know
43 everything - or even much of anything - in the process - try it Alan,
44 it's actually quite liberating), and not dig myself into a hole I may
45 not be able to dig myself out of easily.
46
47 >> Also - when you switch compilers, do you need to reboot right away
48 >> (after rebuilding world (and thus the kernel)?
49
50 > What does rebooting have to do with the compiler? The compiler only
51 > builds code then stops. Rebooting does nothing to it.
52
53 What does your question have to do with mine? Look, I appreciate any
54 help I can get here, but try reading the question you're responding to
55 if you're going to take the time to respond (you missed the stuff in
56 parenthesis)...
57