From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:22:48
1 On Friday 05 March 2010 21:09:33 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've got a concern with some updates that I need to get done. I'm sorry
5 > to say I put a few things off a bit too long, and now I'm uncertain as
6 > to what I should do first, or if it even matters.
7 >
8 > Here are the issues:
9 >
10 > 1. I'm on an older kernel (gentoo-sources, 2.6.23-r9)
11 >
12 > For reasons I won't go into now, the boss would rather wait on updating
13 > this, but he said if we have to, we have to...
14 >
15 > 2. I've currently got the lvm2 update blocker problem due to the
16 > device-mapper being merged into lvm2. I know how to fix this (according
17 > to the bug I found):
18 >
19 > emerge -C device-mapper && emerge -vuDN lvm2
20 >
21 > (/ is not on lvm2, but /usr and /var are)
22 >
23 > but...
24 >
25 > 3. For some reason mysql wants to be rebuilt, and when I tried, it
26 > failed saying that it now requires gcc-4.3.4...
27 >
28 > I had already installed gcc-4.3.4 a while back, but still haven't
29 > switched to it, so currently everything is compiled with 4.1.2.
30
31 Then switch to 4.3.4
32
33 > So, what should I do first? Will the new version of lvm2 work ok with
34 > the older kernel?
35
36 Dunno, what does the ebuild say?
37
38 > If so I could switch to gcc-4.3.4, fix/update lvm2,
39 > then rebuild world, then update the kernel later once the boss is ok
40 > with it?
41
42 Just update the kernel and be done with it. This is the thing to do first and
43 you already know that. So just do it.
46 > Also - when you switch compilers, do you need to reboot right away
47 > (after rebuilding world (and thus the kernel)?
48
49 What does rebooting have to do with the compiler? The compiler only builds
50 code then stops. Rebooting does nothing to it.
54 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com