From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Multiple Update Issues - what order should things be done?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:10:03
1 Hello,
2
3 I've got a concern with some updates that I need to get done. I'm sorry
4 to say I put a few things off a bit too long, and now I'm uncertain as
5 to what I should do first, or if it even matters.
6
7 Here are the issues:
8
9 1. I'm on an older kernel (gentoo-sources, 2.6.23-r9)
10
11 For reasons I won't go into now, the boss would rather wait on updating
12 this, but he said if we have to, we have to...
13
14 2. I've currently got the lvm2 update blocker problem due to the
15 device-mapper being merged into lvm2. I know how to fix this (according
16 to the bug I found):
17
18 emerge -C device-mapper && emerge -vuDN lvm2
19
20 (/ is not on lvm2, but /usr and /var are)
21
22 but...
23
24 3. For some reason mysql wants to be rebuilt, and when I tried, it
25 failed saying that it now requires gcc-4.3.4...
26
27 I had already installed gcc-4.3.4 a while back, but still haven't
28 switched to it, so currently everything is compiled with 4.1.2.
29
30 So, what should I do first? Will the new version of lvm2 work ok with
31 the older kernel? If so I could switch to gcc-4.3.4, fix/update lvm2,
32 then rebuild world, then update the kernel later once the boss is ok
33 with it?
34
35 Also - when you switch compilers, do you need to reboot right away
36 (after rebuilding world (and thus the kernel)?
37
38 Thanks for any suggestions/pointers... :)
42 Charles