From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox/Conky acting up
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:34:03
1 On 1/19/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Vlad,
4 >
5 > On Thursday 18 January 2007 22:35, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
6 > > Hello everyone,
7 > >
8 > > I had Conky start automatically when I log in to Fluxbox by adding the
9 > > following line to .fluxbox/startup:
10 > >
11 > > exec /usr/bin/conky &
12 > >
13 > > It is before exec /usr/bin/fluxbox (a howto warned me about this
14 > pitfall)
15 > > and everything works as expected. The only problem is that when I exit
16 > my
17 > > Fluxbox session, Conky doesn't stop, but rather starts eating up my CPU
18 > > (could this be because when I log back in I start another instance of
19 > it?).
20 > > It can't be killed with a KILL signal, but I noticed HUP will do the
21 > trick.
22 > > Is this normal? How can I have Conky stopped at logout?
23 >
24 > Since no answers have been offered so far, I'll have a go at suggesting
25 > some
26 > things to try.
27 >
28 > I am afraid I do not have conky on my machines, so I can't readily test
29 > this.
30 > What you probably need is a line like:
31 > ============================================
32 > kill -HUP conky
33 > ============================================
34 > after your 'exec /usr/bin/conky &' entry in .fluxbox/startup.
35 >
36 > Alternatively,
37 > ============================================meant to be
38 > kill -HUP `echo ${SOME_THING} | cut -d ':' -f 2`
39 > ============================================
40 > may do the trick but only if 'SOME_THING' is an environment variable for
41 > conky, which may or may not exist. If it doesn't exist then you need a
42 > string which will source the conky PID from ps. I haven't such a string
43 > available here, but I recall seeing something in Google.
44 >
45 > Hope the above is not wildly incorrect and helps you find something that
46 > works. Please post back either way.
49 Hi Mick,
50
51 I've solved the problem by taking your suggestion further. I've added
52
53 pkill -HUP conky
54
55 to my startup file, before starting Conky. That does the trick as far as I
56 can tell.
57
58 Thanks for the input,
59 Vlad
62 > Regards,
63 > Mick
70 How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
71 Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.