From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CHOST question.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:37:02
1 On Tuesday 05 February 2008 10:28:01 am Dale wrote:
2 > Jerry McBride wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 05 February 2008 09:40:30 am Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Jerry McBride wrote:
5 > >>> Would the compiler then be optimized for the pentium4 and thus run a
6 > >>> tad bit faster?
7 > >>
8 > >> See Benedikt's answer for why you should not go down this road.
9 > >>
10 > >> If you did get it all to work right, and suffered through the emerge -e
11 > >> world required, your computer would in fact run a tiny tad faster,
12 > >> where tad is defined is "a teensy weensy little bit, so small you can
13 > >> hardly see it with a magnifying glass"
14 > >>
15 > >> Not worth the effort IMHO. Of course, there are ricers out there that
16 > >> will swear by it and declare that their machine runs much faster, but
17 > >> very few if any of them ever produce some actual numbers...
18 > >
19 > > Thanks for the post.
20 > >
21 > > I actually started working on this project late last night... My target
22 > > test machine is an "getting old" Compaq R3000 with a 3ghz P4. What I'm
23 > > going to do is just what you suggested.
24 > >
25 > > First I'm going to finish freshening the laptop. This is my
26 > > daily "hack-n-slash" computer, so no worries clobbering it. I'm near the
27 > > end of finishing an "emerge -e world" that was preceded with two rounds
28 > > of "emerge -e system"
29 > >
30 > > Next step is some exhaustive bench marking. All suggestions welcomed.
31 > >
32 > > Then once completed, I'' make the change to chost from i686 to pentium4,
33 > > following the docs on the net. Once done and smoothed out... another
34 > > freshening as mentioned above, followed up with identical runs of what
35 > > ever benchmarks I ran before...
36 > >
37 > > Should be interesting... It'll lay to rest what everyone speculates or
38 > > postulates. :')
39 > >
40 > > Cheers.
41 >
42 > There is a script that will take care of the emerge and you only have to
43 > do it once. It's on the forums but I still have a copy if you want me
44 > to email it to you.
45 >
46 > Dale
47 >
49
50 Thanks for the offer. I'm almost finished the re-compiling stuff however. Why
51 not post the script anyways? Someone else may be doing the same thing.
52
53 Cheers.
58 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
59 --