From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CHOST question.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:28:07
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 05 February 2008 09:40:30 am Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Jerry McBride wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Would the compiler then be optimized for the pentium4 and thus run a
7 >>> tad bit faster?
8 >>>
9 >> See Benedikt's answer for why you should not go down this road.
10 >>
11 >> If you did get it all to work right, and suffered through the emerge -e
12 >> world required, your computer would in fact run a tiny tad faster,
13 >> where tad is defined is "a teensy weensy little bit, so small you can
14 >> hardly see it with a magnifying glass"
15 >>
16 >> Not worth the effort IMHO. Of course, there are ricers out there that
17 >> will swear by it and declare that their machine runs much faster, but
18 >> very few if any of them ever produce some actual numbers...
22 > Thanks for the post.
23 >
24 > I actually started working on this project late last night... My target test
25 > machine is an "getting old" Compaq R3000 with a 3ghz P4. What I'm going to do
26 > is just what you suggested.
27 >
28 > First I'm going to finish freshening the laptop. This is my
29 > daily "hack-n-slash" computer, so no worries clobbering it. I'm near the end
30 > of finishing an "emerge -e world" that was preceded with two rounds
31 > of "emerge -e system"
32 >
33 > Next step is some exhaustive bench marking. All suggestions welcomed.
34 >
35 > Then once completed, I'' make the change to chost from i686 to pentium4,
36 > following the docs on the net. Once done and smoothed out... another
37 > freshening as mentioned above, followed up with identical runs of what ever
38 > benchmarks I ran before...
39 >
40 > Should be interesting... It'll lay to rest what everyone speculates or
41 > postulates. :')
42 >
43 > Cheers.
48 There is a script that will take care of the emerge and you only have to
49 do it once. It's on the forums but I still have a copy if you want me
50 to email it to you.
51
52 Dale
53