From: Ralph Seichter <m16+gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with dev-util/cargo blocking dev-lang/rust.
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 13:37:31
1 * Neil Bothwick:
2
3 > That's because ~ doesn't mean unstable, it means testing. Stable in
4 > this context means less likely to change, not less likely to fall
5 > over. Plus the differentiation is for the ebuilds, not the software
6 > itself.
7
8 It is also worth mentioning that ebuilds cannot be added to the tree
9 with "stable" flags, at least not by unprivileged contributors such as
10 myself.
11
12 If, for example, there is an upstream bugfix release, I will copy my
13 existing ebuild because neither build process nor dependencies have
14 changed one bit, but I am required to change keywords to unstable
15 anyway.
16
17 Switching to stable would require a second pull request after at least a
18 month has passed, and many contributors just don't bother with that.
19
20 -Ralph