From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Postfix Woes
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:39:18
1 On 4/25/06 9:11 PM, "Maurice E Johnson" <maurice.e.johnson@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > OK,
4 > Here's how this works.
5 >
6 > Many (nearly all) primary SMTP servers on the Internet will not forward your
7 > email. The reason for this is because your ip belongs to an ISP (this means
8 > your IP is a client IP on the ISPs net).
9 >
10 > Well, one day, many moons ago a bunch of very intelligent folks got together
11 > and figured that letting people run their own mailservers was a goot way to
12 > propagate spam. So they put together a database of (among other things)
13 > ISP-Customer IPs.
14 >
15 > This is where it gets good. You see, now that you are part of the crowd, ALL
16 > of those SMTP servers on the net will see your server as an email source and
17 > drop your stuff on the floor. Pretty cool huh?
18 >
19 > Remember kiddies - RTFM
20 >
21 To be realistic...not ALL of them drop your stuff on the floor. And I¹m not
22 personally so sure that it¹s all that intellegent to decide that people with
23 ³residential² or ³dynamic² ips are automatically morons who can¹t control
24 their perimeter and so should be blocked. I find, in fact, that most of my
25 mail (that doesn¹t need to go to aol, or certain other large providers) does
26 in fact travel quite happily from my properly configured, non-spam friendly
27 mail server to the destination. And if it bounces, well, that¹s what the
28 ³transport² file is for :). And what he¹s seeing is, in fact, NOT a
29 smackdown because the receiving end doesn¹t like his dynamic ip. If you
30 look at the log segment, he¹s not getting connected at the far end, not
31 getting a 550. His isp is blocking outbound smtp traffic. You could make
32 an argument both ways, but I personally find it appalling that morons who
33 can¹t control their own computing resources make it difficult for me to send
34 my legitimate outbound mail as I please. I¹m not a big fan of ³lowest
35 common denominator² computing...which is why I don¹t run windows.