From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: scanner problem : latest
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:10:33
1 On Friday, 20 July 2018 14:04:26 BST Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 180719 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 > > On 2018-07-19 05:29, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > >> The Mint version seems to find a file in /usr/share/iscan-data ,
5 > >> which the others don't find, but that file is present in my Gentoo
6 > >> system.
7 > >
8 > > I have not looked at the strace log, but this smacks of permissions
9 > > and possibly Selinux, if you've let that beast loose.
10 >
11 > I checked the permissions for iscan-data & they seem ok.
12 > No, I've never tried to use Selinux.
13 >
14 > However, I've just escaped fr another beast, ie Linux Mint 19 :
15 > DON'T try to install it alongside Gentoo !!
16 >
17 > This beast leads you along to a point where you've told it where to install
18 > -- a partition on my HDD (sdb5) -- ,
19 > you click 'proceed' & it chugs along nicely for some time,
20 > then it says it's trying to install a bootloader
21 > without asking whether you want it to or where to do it.
22 > Next, it says it's failed to install Grub -- which I've never used -- ,
23 > offers several ugly-looking options & freezes.
24 >
25 > All you can do is a hard power-off & when you restart,
26 > instead of the regular Lilo box of options, there's only a Grub prompt.
27 > Disaster looks you in the face !
28
29 Many an installation were hosed lately because of a GRUB problem in Mint and
30 potentially *buntu. Testing before releasing was not as thorough as it should
31 have been:
32
33 https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3620
36 Regards,