From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: scanner problem : latest
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:04:41
1 180719 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-07-19 05:29, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> The Mint version seems to find a file in /usr/share/iscan-data ,
4 >> which the others don't find, but that file is present in my Gentoo system.
5 > I have not looked at the strace log, but this smacks of permissions
6 > and possibly Selinux, if you've let that beast loose.
7
8 I checked the permissions for iscan-data & they seem ok.
9 No, I've never tried to use Selinux.
10
11 However, I've just escaped fr another beast, ie Linux Mint 19 :
12 DON'T try to install it alongside Gentoo !!
13
14 This beast leads you along to a point where you've told it where to install
15 -- a partition on my HDD (sdb5) -- ,
16 you click 'proceed' & it chugs along nicely for some time,
17 then it says it's trying to install a bootloader
18 without asking whether you want it to or where to do it.
19 Next, it says it's failed to install Grub -- which I've never used -- ,
20 offers several ugly-looking options & freezes.
21
22 All you can do is a hard power-off & when you restart,
23 instead of the regular Lilo box of options, there's only a Grub prompt.
24 Disaster looks you in the face !
25
26 SystemRescue to the rescue : Gentoo /boot is unaltered,
27 so copy lilo.conf into the SR /etc dir, edit it to use SR paths,
28 mount the Gentoo /boot , run 'lilo' & the MBR is restored to what it sb.
29 Reboot & the familiar Lilo screen appears !
30
31 I wanted to see whether the latest Mint found my scanner,
32 which would suggest that the problem doesn't involve the kernel, at least.
33 I'm not trying again !
34
35 On inspection, Mint 19 does seem to have installed itself on /dev/sdb5 ,
36 so I can copy the vital files from its /boot to my own Gentoo /boot ,
37 edit lilo.conf accordingly & see if it will start : not today !
38
39 Next up -- too late for today -- is to see if I can get Nvidia working
40 with an earlier kernel : at present it isn't.
41 Then I can find out if Xsane can find my scanner with another kernel.
42
43 Can anyone take a look at my Strace output ( 3 files),
44 which is at http://chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test ?
45 That would be a real help.
49 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
50 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
51 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca