From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I share my /boot and swap partitions with other Linux installs?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 03:37:08
1 Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > Currently I dual-boot my notebook with XP and Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I'm curious to try out all this beryl stuff and see what all the rage is
5 > with Ubuntu and the kids these days.
6 >
7 > Can I install Ubuntu in yet another partition and have it share the /boot
8 > and swap ones I already have, or do I need dedicated ones for that distro
9 > too?
10 >
11 > (and I did try to get beryl working in Gentoo, but couldn't do it. Before I
12 > spend too much time messing with that, I figured I'd see if it was even
13 > worth it. Since I have nvidia card, I can't run the Ubuntu live CD and beryl
14 > as it needs to install the proprietary drivers. )
17 > D.Vin
21 You should be able to share /boot and swap without any problems. Just
22 make sure you name the kernels something different or that each distro
23 is set up to use the same kernel version.
24
25 Some people share the /home too. I have read that can be tricky
26 though. May need the same or close to the same version of KDE for example.
27
28 Hope that helps.
29
30 Dale
31
35 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
36
37 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list