From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo net0 - auto resetting - very impressed
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 06:22:56
1 On 16/09/2015 00:49, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 09/15/2015 01:58 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 15/09/2015 21:53, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > [snip]
5 >>
6 >>>> Yea, I almost had mine working but I just got tired of hacking
7 >>>> away at it. It would be more straightforward to take an rpm or deb
8 >>>> package and use it. Folks have made specific models work, but, it
9 >>>> is a bit of work.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> 'eix -R brother' shows quite a few overlays (ebuilds) that cover
12 >>>> a range of brother printers, should you desire to hack that route.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>> To install brother printer just follow these steps from Gentoo forum:
16 >>> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909052-highlight-brother.html
20 >> Or just don't install Brother printers. They are utter crap and why
21 >> anyone gives them desk space is beyond me. It's not like they are
22 >> expensive either, toss 'em and buy something real.
23 >>
24 >> Recent Samsung, Epson and everything supported by hplip all work great.
25 >
26 > I had a different experience with Samsung printers. I bought one model
27 > and it had a big bold letters that it works with Linux.
28 > When I try to install printer driver, it was impossible. It came with
29 > some kind of script the relied on an old/obsolete library so it was
30 > impossible to install it.
31
32 Samsung did that once 10 years ago, and slashdot made them pay with
33 ridicule.
34
35 Samsung is a very unusual company, they take note of their mistakes and
36 fix them very quickly. Their latest printers do not make that same
37 stupid mistake; mine is a recent colour laser and the cheapest in the
38 range. Doesn't even have a display or keyboard so it creates it's own
39 ad-hoc wifi connection so you can connect and configure in a browser.
40 Once it's on your real network, it all JustWorks(tm) and understands
41 postscript, PCL, SPL and ipp.
42
43 Drivers? What drivers? It's bog standard PCL so the generic ppds all
44 work. None of this stupid bloody nonsense of the printer implementing a
45 weird once-off control language that only works on one model and is a
46 pain to set up. The value in a printer is fast, accurate printing with
47 cost-effective inks/toners and that doesn't piss off the customer base.
48
49 Samsung knows this and it's apparent in all there products for years
50 now. Witness their Android phones
53 > On Fedora, script installs brother printer base on Brother source
54 > web-page driver, it works perfectly. On Gentoo it is a manual/painful
55 > setup if you doing it the first time.
58 This has been explained to you several times already. Fedora takes pains
59 to automate such things as-shipped as a convenience for their userbase.
60 It's their contract with them and at the heart of the distro they build.
61
62 Gentoo does not offer such a distro. Gentoo offers a highly customizable
63 source-based distro where you can get what _you_ want, the price you pay
64 is that you have to do the nice neat user-facing convenience parts
65 yourself - things like drivers, icon themes, choice of wm and more.
66 Gentoo has never, and never will, offer an ebuild like that brother
67 printer by default.
71 Alan McKinnon
72 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com