From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo net0 - auto resetting - very impressed
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:50:15
1 On 09/15/2015 01:58 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 15/09/2015 21:53, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 [snip]
4 >
5 >>> Yea, I almost had mine working but I just got tired of hacking
6 >>> away at it. It would be more straightforward to take an rpm or deb
7 >>> package and use it. Folks have made specific models work, but, it
8 >>> is a bit of work.
9 >>>
10 >>> 'eix -R brother' shows quite a few overlays (ebuilds) that cover
11 >>> a range of brother printers, should you desire to hack that route.
14 >> To install brother printer just follow these steps from Gentoo forum:
15 >> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909052-highlight-brother.html
19 > Or just don't install Brother printers. They are utter crap and why
20 > anyone gives them desk space is beyond me. It's not like they are
21 > expensive either, toss 'em and buy something real.
22 >
23 > Recent Samsung, Epson and everything supported by hplip all work great.
24
25 I had a different experience with Samsung printers. I bought one model
26 and it had a big bold letters that it works with Linux.
27 When I try to install printer driver, it was impossible. It came with
28 some kind of script the relied on an old/obsolete library so it was
29 impossible to install it.
30
31 On Fedora, script installs brother printer base on Brother source
32 web-page driver, it works perfectly. On Gentoo it is a manual/painful
33 setup if you doing it the first time.
34
35 Thelma