From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of cups and physical printing ...
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 12:47:11
1 On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:07:47 +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > > You stipulate physical printing. Does that mean you want to retain th
4 > > ability to print to PDF or PS? If so, you would still need at least
5 > > Ghostscript and possibly CUPS too, although you should be able to get
6 > > rid of the PPD packages.
7
8 > ...my "I am no native english speaker" hit me again it seems... ;)
9 >
10 > With "physical printing" I meant the step which "put it on
11 > paper"...or in other words: Everything which involves the device
12 > "printer" (...hrrmmm...NOT anything in /dev/....the thing on the
13 > desktop, which has 9 needles in the past...;) 8) )
14 >
15 > For creating PDF I use either TeX and friends. Or gimp or
16 > similiar (Image-/Graphicsmagick).
17
18 I would think USE="-cups" would help, but some packages do have a hard
19 dependency on printing, which has been the subject of rants on this list
20 in the past.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 "Of course, I could switch back to Windows. At least there, if I have a
27 problem, I don't suffer under the illusion that I could ever fix it." -