From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of cups and physical printing ...
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 04:03:45
1 Hello,
2
3 On Tue, 05 Jan 2016, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:07:47 +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 >> > You stipulate physical printing. Does that mean you want to retain th
6 >> > ability to print to PDF or PS? If so, you would still need at least
7 >> > Ghostscript and possibly CUPS too, although you should be able to get
8 >> > rid of the PPD packages.
9
10 Same here.
11
12 >I would think USE="-cups" would help, but some packages do have a hard
13 >dependency on printing, which has been the subject of rants on this list
14 >in the past.
15
16 Yeah, it does not really help for some packages, some won't even
17 compile withouth cups and other stuff (e.g. libreoffice without cups,
18 hunspell etc. pp:
19
20 >=app-text/hunspell-1.3.2-r3
21 app-text/mythes
22 >=app-text/libetonyek-0.1.1
23 >=app-text/libmwaw-0.3.4
24 app-text/libwpd:0.10[tools]
25 app-text/libwpg:0.3
26 =app-text/libwps-0.3*
27 =dev-cpp/libcmis-0.5*
28 >=dev-libs/hyphen-2.7.1
29 >=dev-libs/redland-1.0.16
30 >=media-libs/libfreehand-0.1.0
31 media-libs/libpagemaker
32 >=media-libs/libvisio-0.1.0
33 net-nds/openldap
34
35 This is _ALL_ stuff I don't want, esp. the spelling crap. I've yet to
36 see a spellchecker that helps more than it hinders.
37
38 Anyway, I've patched some ebuilds so they compile without cups, if at
39 all possible, feel free to ask via PM (they're mostly untested so
40 far), so I won't put them up for download anywhere yet.
41
42 -dnh
45 >> This needs quotes:
46 >> use lib "/path/to/perl/modules";
47 > Single or double quotes?
48 Yes. -- Tad McClellan in comp.lang.perl.misc