From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:35:23
1 On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:14:28 -0000
2 "Nelson, David \(ED, PAR&D\)" <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > -----Original Message-----
5 > > From: mwq [mailto:mwq@××.pl]
6 > > Sent: 10 March 2007 21:00
7 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 > > Subject: [gentoo-user] RAID
11 > > I have one laic question which may not be directly connected
12 > > to Gentoo but I think you'll forgive me that.
13 > > Imagine such a situation: I have two hard drives but drive A
14 > > is twice faster when reading and writing then drive B. I want
15 > > to make RAID 0 using A and B. Why are the stripes sizes on
16 > > both drives excacly the same? (I've googled and didn't find
17 > > any information about different spripes sizes) I think that
18 > > using twice greater stripe on A gives more speed then using
19 > > equal stripes.
20 > > And my question is: where am I doing a mistake?
21 > > PS
22 > > Sorry for my poor English
23 > >
24 > > --
25 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
29 > Forgive me the maths approach here, but if drive A reads/writes at
30 > speed a, and drive B at speed b.
31 >
32 > a = 2*b from what you have said.
33 > In raid 0 drive speed is limited by the slower drive (if I recall
34 > correctly) so the speed your raid array would be limited to is .... b
35 > + b = 2b = a (from above).
36 >
37 > Hence you would be as well not bothering with RAID if drive A is 2x
38 > as fast as drive B.
39 >
40 > Naturally it's not as clear cut but should be pretty close. RAID 0ing
41 > these drives would gain you little in terms of speed while any 2
42 > drive RAID 0 setup increases the chance of failure by 2.
43 >
44 > If you just want them to appear as one drive look at something like
45 > LVM which can create one volume from both drives, although parts of
46 > the volume on drive A would be faster than those parts on drive B.
47 >
48 > Just my £0.02, feel free to poke holes in my reasoning ;)
49 well, I'll try a bit perhaps. Given my scheme, we should really be
50 talking about 3 drives -- well, actualy you generally raid
51 _partitions_.
52 A = fast disk, or speed thereof
53 B = slow disk. or speed thereof
54 A1 = first partition, size R/3, fast disk
55 A2 = second partition, size R/3, fast disk
56 B1 = first partition, size R/3, slow disk
57 raid-0 is A1 + A2 + B1
58 now let's say you have a file N to pull from the disk. Naturally, one
59 third of it will come from each partition. that is, two-thirds of it
60 comes from A, and A being twice as fast as drive B, the one-third
61 that's on B gets done in about the same amount of time. so N mb is
62 copied in max( (2/3*N)/A , (1/3*N)/B ) seconds which should be roughly
63 the same.
64
65 if N was on A alone obviously the speed would be N/A seconds. (N/A) >
66 (2/3*N)/A.
67
68 in reality, though, I think the best performance would probaby involve
69 just using the fast drive. RAID introduces too much overhead to make
70 up for itself in this situation I think.
71 --
72 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list