From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:33:37
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue 23 August 2011 15:50:24 Canek Peláez Valdés did opine thusly:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Alan McKinnon
4 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > On Tue 23 August 2011 15:06:25 Canek Peláez Valdés did opine
6 > thusly:
7 >> >> > Now if it had similarities to say hal, I would instantly
8 >> >> > understand. But dbus is good and useful in all the ways
9 >> >> > that
10 >> >> > hal isn't.
11 >> >>
12 >> >> Wasn't. HAL is dead. From
13 >> >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal
14 >> >
15 >> > Sadly, HAL is not yet dead. It lives still.
16 >> >
17 >> > It lives on the production database server I just happen to be
18 >> > rebooting as I type this (another story for another time) and
19 >> > will continue to live here for a very very long time indeed.
20 >> >
21 >> > Dale can confirm this. Dale will swear in a court of law with
22 >> > hand on bible than hal lives on in zombie form, infesting all
23 >> > the matter of his house and computers, infecting them with
24 >> > their undead zombieness.
25 >> >
26 >> > Ye gods, it's been a long hard day....
27 >>
28 >> I remember getting rid of HAL in one weekend, from all my computers.
29 >> It was a long weekend, but it was not as bad as getting rid of Qt
30 >> from all the computers in my office some years ago.
31 >
32 > Come to my work place, I have the perfect task for you:
33 >
34 > to excise perl-5.8.0 from all the many machines it's on, plus the
35 > atrocious in-house coding using it that no-one left understands, and
36 > all running on hardware that no-one can replace.
37
38 Been there, done that. One of the reasons I got back to school to get
39 my Computer Science PhD.
40
41 Regards.
42 --