From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:22:23
1 On Tue 23 August 2011 15:50:24 Canek Peláez Valdés did opine thusly:
2 > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Alan McKinnon
3 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Tue 23 August 2011 15:06:25 Canek Peláez Valdés did opine
5 thusly:
6 > >> > Now if it had similarities to say hal, I would instantly
7 > >> > understand. But dbus is good and useful in all the ways
8 > >> > that
9 > >> > hal isn't.
10 > >>
11 > >> Wasn't. HAL is dead. From
12 > >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal
13 > >
14 > > Sadly, HAL is not yet dead. It lives still.
15 > >
16 > > It lives on the production database server I just happen to be
17 > > rebooting as I type this (another story for another time) and
18 > > will continue to live here for a very very long time indeed.
19 > >
20 > > Dale can confirm this. Dale will swear in a court of law with
21 > > hand on bible than hal lives on in zombie form, infesting all
22 > > the matter of his house and computers, infecting them with
23 > > their undead zombieness.
24 > >
25 > > Ye gods, it's been a long hard day....
26 >
27 > I remember getting rid of HAL in one weekend, from all my computers.
28 > It was a long weekend, but it was not as bad as getting rid of Qt
29 > from all the computers in my office some years ago.
30
31 Come to my work place, I have the perfect task for you:
32
33 to excise perl-5.8.0 from all the many machines it's on, plus the
34 atrocious in-house coding using it that no-one left understands, and
35 all running on hardware that no-one can replace.
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com