From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] open source monitoring on gentoo
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:54:56
1 On Monday 27 June 2011 17:33:45 Mick did opine thusly:
2 > On Monday 27 Jun 2011 08:45:06 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 > > thanks to all for your suggestion.
4 > > Still not sure where to turn ...
5 > >
6 > > Stefan
7 >
8 > We can't know which one may best match your
9 > needs/expectations/preferences. You can spend some time looking at
10 > their documentation to get an understanding of how difficult it may
11 > be to configure them and then play with their online demos to
12 > experience the touch & feel of each.
13 >
14 > Then install the one that best matches your requirements and if your
15 > don't like it enough install the second best and so on. If you are
16 > prepared to get your hands dirty you can somewhat customise the
17 > look and feel (e.g. using CSS), but the monitoring engine is what
18 > will provide you with the necessary functionality.
19 >
20 > Personally, I ended up using Nagios because at the time it had a
21 > load of plugins that others did not. Once I spent a lot of time
22 > installing graphing engines and configuring it, I had invested too
23 > much time to ditch it and try something different.
24 >
25 > Thankfully, you can start afresh your quest and evaluate how each of
26 > these tools meets your requirements.
27
28 We're going through the same research nightmare. Our conclusions:
29
30 1. Nothing out there just does everything a large network would really
31 want.
32 2. Some projects have very stable code but not much plugins, others
33 have lots of plugins but the dev model leads to unstable code
34 3. Monitoring is NOT off the shelf, it is highly bespoke
35 4. Regardless of what you choose you will go through X effort to get
36 it going and Y effort to get it to do what you want. The value is Y is
37 amazingly similar regardless of the project (given that the starting
38 code is at least somewhat mature).
39
40 iow, your comments are right on the money, that is indeed how to do
41 it.
45 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com