From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:15:07
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 >
3 > I'll just quote the "emerge" man page, that is pretty clear there:
4 >
5 --snip
6 >
7 > Note the words "DIRECT dependencies". So, your command "emerge
8 > --update --deep world" is in fact just "emerge world", because every
9 > direct/indirect dependency is part of your world file. Your "way" made
10 > "--update" useless, because a simple "emerge <package>" would update
11 > the package.
14 --snip
15
16 > So, you "way" also made "--deep" useless.
17 > This flags are there because they mantain portage in a way that you
18 > can't easily break consistency by accident, and with that I mean
19 > libraries and indirect dependencies.
20
21 Yes, and I'll ask again what's the point of doing:
22
23 "emerge world" or "emerge --update world"?
24
25 If one doesn't use "--deep" not all the packages get updated. Thats what
26 bothers me. Later on this mail you say that even you make "emerge -iDN
27 world" on a daily basis.
30 --snip
31
32 > Also, the world file is a simple way to keep a package version (by
33 > removing it from world), for instance, I don't wanna upgrade mysql
34 > with my nightly "emerge -uDN world", so, its not in my world file.
37 Nothing prevents me of doing the same thing, right? ;-)
38
39 > Also note that "indirect" dependencies can be a pain, and packages may
40 > depend on a LOT of other packages, if you want an example, check
41 > "emerge -euDt links -pv". You can check indirect dependencies! I just
42 > say there are quite a few, and portage knows how to deal with all this
43 > stuff (at least never proved me wrong).
46 Yes, and putting almost all of the packages in the world list does not
47 prevent portage of doing its job.
48
49 So who and why would use "emerge world" and "emerge --update world" ?
52 Best regards,
53 Daniel
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list