From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:33:08
1 On 7/5/06, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 >
4 > > You're manually doying stuff that portage should do. This breaks
5 > > portage system, gives you more trouble (because you have to manually
6 > > "undo" stuff in order to not break your dependency list) and have
7 > > turned the whole dependency check lists and ebuils dependency check
8 > > useless. A "emerge --update --deep world" for you is a "emerge world".
9 > > You put some of the work of portage on your own hands, don't be
10 > > surprised if that breaks something.
13 > OK. I agree that "my way" makes "emerge --update --deep world" equal to
14 > "emerge --update world". Then what is the original purpose of "emerge
15 > --update world"?
18 I'll just quote the "emerge" man page, that is pretty clear there:
19
20 --update (-u)
21 Updates packages to the best version available, which may not
22 always be the highest version number due to masking for testing
23 and development. This will also update direct dependencies
24 which may not be what you want. In general, use this option
25 only in combination with the world or system target.
26
27 Note the words "DIRECT dependencies". So, your command "emerge
28 --update --deep world" is in fact just "emerge world", because every
29 direct/indirect dependency is part of your world file. Your "way" made
30 "--update" useless, because a simple "emerge <package>" would update
31 the package.
32
33 --deep (-D)
34 When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces emerge
35 to consider the entire dependency tree of packages, instead of
36 checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages. As an
37 example, this catches updates in libraries that are not directly
38 listed in the dependencies of a package.
39
40 So, you "way" also made "--deep" useless.
41 This flags are there because they mantain portage in a way that you
42 can't easily break consistency by accident, and with that I mean
43 libraries and indirect dependencies.
44
45 I'm not arguing that your system WILL break by putting every single
46 atom of package installed in world, I just say that you are going
47 against portage evolution by doying its work, and that MAY cause
48 problems.
49
50 Also, the world file is a simple way to keep a package version (by
51 removing it from world), for instance, I don't wanna upgrade mysql
52 with my nightly "emerge -uDN world", so, its not in my world file.
53
54 Also note that "indirect" dependencies can be a pain, and packages may
55 depend on a LOT of other packages, if you want an example, check
56 "emerge -euDt links -pv". You can check indirect dependencies! I just
57 say there are quite a few, and portage knows how to deal with all this
58 stuff (at least never proved me wrong).
61 Daniel da Veiga
62 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
68 --
69 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list