From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Duplicate identical Hard Disk
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:39:07
1 On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:37 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 04/02/2010 07:59 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> 1) Yes, you can RAID partitions of drives. That's what I'm doing. You
6 >> can look at the Gentoo RAID/LVM Install guide to see an example of
7 >> using RAID0 and RAID1 on a single drive.
8 >>
9 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
10 >
11 > Very useful post, thanks.  I'm just nitpicking here about the use of
12 > RAID0 on a single physical drive, which doesn't seem useful IIUC.
13 >
14 > RAID0 alternates stripes between two physical drives so that one disk
15 > can be reading/writing while the other disk's heads are seeking, no?
16 >
17 > If that is the case, then single-disk RAID0 will just be thrashing the
18 > heads back and forth between stripes on different partitions, making
19 > more work for itself than necessary.
20 >
21 > If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.
22
23 No, you are correct, RAID0 on a single drive makes no sense. If I
24 suggested that then I apologize for the confusion. I was only saying
25 that you can do RAID on one partition but do non-RAID on another. For
26 instance, /boot is non-RAID and then other partitions are RAID. I may
27 be wrong but I think that's only possible with software RAID. Not sure
28 you could do this behind a hardware RAID controller.
29
30 sda1 = /boot - non-RAID
31 sda2, sdb2, sdc2 = swap, but not RAID. The kernel binds them.
32 sda3, sdb3, sdc3 = RAID /home
33
34 or something like that.
35
36 In case even that's not clear, I don't think mdadm supports a RAID
37 array of any type with all the partitions on a single drive. For
38 instance:
39
40 mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3
41
42 doesn't make any sense to me even if it is supported.
43
44 Hope that helps clear things up. ;-)
45
46 - Mark