From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Duplicate identical Hard Disk
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:38:42
1 On 04/02/2010 07:59 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > 1) Yes, you can RAID partitions of drives. That's what I'm doing. You
5 > can look at the Gentoo RAID/LVM Install guide to see an example of
6 > using RAID0 and RAID1 on a single drive.
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
9
10 Very useful post, thanks. I'm just nitpicking here about the use of
11 RAID0 on a single physical drive, which doesn't seem useful IIUC.
12
13 RAID0 alternates stripes between two physical drives so that one disk
14 can be reading/writing while the other disk's heads are seeking, no?
15
16 If that is the case, then single-disk RAID0 will just be thrashing the
17 heads back and forth between stripes on different partitions, making
18 more work for itself than necessary.
19
20 If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.