From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:30:43
1 · Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>:
2
3 > Quoth the Alexander Skwar
4 >> Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>:
5 >> > Quoth the Alexander Skwar
6 >> >
7 >> >> · maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>:
8 >> >> >>digg2ogg
9 >> >> >
10 >> >> > should be dir2ogg
11 >> >>
12 >> >> 0.8 is the latest stable version. Why do you think, that a different
13 >> >> version should be offered, when you "emerge dir2ogg"?
14 >> >
15 >> > Well, I'm the upstream author, and _I_ think there should be different
16 >> > (ie: newer) version offered. Good enough?
17 >>
18 >> No, not good enough, as that doesn't matter at all. All that matters is,
19 >> what's in the tree. And the latest stable version is 0.8, no matter what
20 >> you think. The question remains: Why should a different version be offered?
21 >>
22 >> Alexander Skwar
23 >> --
24 >> A closed mouth gathers no foot.
25 >
26 > Sorry Alexander, I just don't get where you're going with this. Version 0.8
27 > was released September 27, 2004! There have been 4 major new releases since
28 > then, which include many bug fixes, and new and improved features. 0.8 is old
29 > and busted, 0.9.3 is the new hotness!
30
31 Who cares? All that matters to portage is, what's in the tree.
32
33 > Surely I don't need to explain the concept of how software improves with new
34 > development? You're not using GCC 2.95 and kernel 2.2.10 are you?
35
36 No, because gcc 2.95 isn't the latest stable version in the tree.
37
38 Alexander Skwar
39 --
40 The way I understand it, the Russians are sort of a combination of evil and
41 incompetence... sort of like the Post Office with tanks.
42 -- Emo Philips
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list