From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] printing problems
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 19:57:36
1 On 03/11/2015 18:05, Dale wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I am trying to get printing to work properly in my recently built machine.
4 >> 'hp-probe' identifies my printer as 'HP Deskjet 2510 series'.
5 >> When I print a text file from Gvim or a ps file from LO,
6 >> there are blank bands across the page, omitting lines or parts of letters.
7 >>
8 >> I have managed to get Kwrite to print properly
9 >> via file -> print -> options -> layout -> schema :
10 >> when set to 'normal' 'KDE' 'Vim dark', everything comes out as it should
11 >> (there are some amusing color effects, but it's all there).
12 >>
13 >> Alongside Gentoo, I installed Mint 17.2 (Xfce),
14 >> which started printing properly via Gedit + LO
15 >> after I set print quality to 'high' via the 'http://localhost:631' menu
16 >> (I didn't go back to test Gvim there, but assume it would work too).
17 >> Gedit has its own internal print-quality menu too.
18 >>
19 >> I have compared /etc/hp/hplip.conf in Gentoo vs Mint :
20 >> the Gentoo version of Hplip is 3.14.10 , Mint has 3.15.2 ;
21 >> the Gentoo version of Cups is 2.0 , Mint has 1.7 ;
22 >> the Gentoo version of Hplip was built with 'foomatic-ppd-install=no',
23 >> the Mint version with '...=yes'.
24 >>
25 >> I can contrive to print text + ps files easily
26 >> by copying them to an appropriate partition & rebooting into Mint,
27 >> but Gentoo is supposed to make these things easier, not more difficult.
28 >>
29 >> Finally, I've never got the print icon in Gvim to work :
30 >> I use the 'prtdialog' plug-in, which prints, but only badly as above.
31 >>
32 >> Can anyone offer advice or suggestions ?
36 > I don't know if this will help or not but since you seem to be grasping
37 > at straws, grab this one and hold on for dear life. For the longest
38 > time, every time hplip, cups and friends were updated, I had to delete
39 > and readd my printer. If I didn't, printing was not going to happen,
40 > period. I might also add, I'd restart cups just to be sure, after the
41 > delete and again after the readd. Once I did that, printing worked like
42 > a charm. If I didn't know better, I'd think the ink lasted longer too.
43 > ROFL Just kidding but . . . . If nothing else works, may want to try
44 > that.
45 >
46 > Oh, the last time I did the setup, I ignored cups completely. I went in
47 > as root and set up the printer using the hplip command. That was at
48 > least a couple years ago. Since then, whenever I get ready to print,
49 > and replace the dried out cartridges, it just works. I have a D4260,
50 > currently out of ink, again.
51 >
52 > I think the actual command is hp-setup. I use KDE and that opens a GUI
53 > to do the set up. Generally, it is just clicking next. It just seems
54 > to figure out the rest itself, unless you have more than one printer
55 > hooked up then you may have to select something.
56 >
57 > None of this may help but maybe one will. May be worth a shot. ;-)
58
59 That's my experience too. I print very little by for ages now everytime
60 a change was made to a printer or cups (even teeny minor ones), I'd
61 delete and re-add all printers plus restart cups.
62
63 Why does cups behave like this? Buggered if I know. I have an
64 unexpressable opinion based on a certain fruity vendor who seems better
65 at suing Samsung than actually writing code....
69 Alan McKinnon
70 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com