From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No ping man page
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:37:00
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > <sigh> Code like this makes me want to vomit. The
4 > OS-that-shall-not-be-named pulls stunts like this, I really think FLOSS
5 > stuff should be better.
6 >
7 > So, I have to emerge an entire sgml kit to generate a man page. Wow.
8 > Especially since last time I looked, man pages were not in sgml format
9 > or even any format that vaguely resembles mark-up
10 >
11 > To the upstream iputils dev:
12 >
13 > "Dude, wtf were you thinking?"
14
15 Yup, it does seem way over the top. Surely though there is some
16 rhyme to the reason. Man pages are such a large part of the very
17 essence of unix. It seems a serious shame that a user is better off
18 googling for `linux man ping' than the long standing `man ping'. The
19 more so since someone needing the man page for ping is somewhat more
20 likely to be having network troubles than the average bear, and may
21 not be able to google.
22
23 I took Alans' comment as at root, friendly, and maybe the devs if any
24 read it will too. But please any developer who can ... explain what
25 is the reasoning here.
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list