From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: No ping man page
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:07:00
1 On Tuesday 12 February 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Yup, it does seem way over the top.  Surely though there is some
3 > rhyme to the reason.  Man pages are such a large part of the very
4 > essence of unix.  It seems a serious shame that a user is better off
5 > googling for `linux man ping' than the long standing `man ping'.
6
7 In the interest of benefiting the entire gentoo community, reducing
8 frustration levels and helping fellow gentoo users from having to
9 download 8M of stuff to get the ping man page restored to it's rightful
10 place of honour, I hereby humbly offer the following miniscule
11 attachment - the ping man page nicked off a conveniently located Ubuntu
12 machine. At a mere 5539 bytes it's size is negligible compared to the
13 bandwidth that will be otherwise consumed.
14
15 Save attachment as /usr/local/share/man/man8/ping.8.gz
16 then
17 chown root:root /usr/local/share/man/man8/ping.8.gz
18 chmod 0644 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ping.8.gz
19
20 To round off the package I can supply suitable man pages for arping and
21 tracepath as well at the grand size of 1481 and 1785 bytes respectively
22
23 :-)
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com