From: Nick Cunningham <nick@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout and openrc issues from inside a vserver
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:52:50
1 2009/1/19 kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
2
3 > Peter Alfredsen wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:28:05 -0800
6 >> kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> I've been putting off the openrc upgrade on my vserver
9 >>> account for some time and think it's finally come around to bite me.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Our vserver team had this to say about it on -dev a few days ago.
13 >>
14 >>> - - baselayout-2/openrc isn't stable yet, in fact it's even masked
15 >>>> in profiles/targets/vserver/package.mask
16 >>>>
17 >>> i don't care. baselayout-vserver is a hack, the vserver profiles are
18 >>> deprecated since ages (although i think the restructuring revived
19 >>> them), and the vserver team (that's only me currently) doesn't
20 >>> support anything else beside openrc.
21 >>>
22 >>> Greets,
23 >>> Bene
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> So, you should probably migrate to the normal profiles as recommended
27 >> by the vserver howto:
28 >>
29 >> Whoops, missed the link to the vserver howto:
30 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/vps/vserver-howto.xml
33 > Unfortunately that doc isn't very up to date or very well written. Hell the
34 > mentioned baselayout 1.13 doesn't even exist in portage.
35 >
36 > It appears that I should.
37 >
38 > 1. Change profile from vserver to server so I don't have to go mucking
39 > about in package.mask
40 > 2. emerge -C baselayout-vserver && emerge baselayout-2 openrc
41 > 3. clean up openrc baselayout issues.
42 > 4. Make backups, restart, and hope it doesn't explode.
43 >
44 > That sound about right?
45 >
46 > The other side is that I have no control over the host OS, I just pay for a
47 > hosted vserver. Is any of this goes to have issues if I update the quest
48 > and the host is not aware?
49 >
50 > kashani
53 Dont edit anything inside of /usr/portage as it will get wiped out the next
54 time you sync.
55 If you want to unmask openrc and baselayout then use
56 /etc/portage/package.unmask and /etc/portage/package.keywords.
57
58 Make sure you read the OpenRC migration guide or you risk severely hosing
59 your system!
60 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
61
62 - Nick