From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout and openrc issues from inside a vserver
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:46:16
1 Peter Alfredsen wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:28:05 -0800
3 > kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I've been putting off the openrc upgrade on my vserver
6 >> account for some time and think it's finally come around to bite me.
7 >
8 > Our vserver team had this to say about it on -dev a few days ago.
9 >>> - - baselayout-2/openrc isn't stable yet, in fact it's even masked
10 >>> in profiles/targets/vserver/package.mask
11 >> i don't care. baselayout-vserver is a hack, the vserver profiles are
12 >> deprecated since ages (although i think the restructuring revived
13 >> them), and the vserver team (that's only me currently) doesn't
14 >> support anything else beside openrc.
15 >>
16 >> Greets,
17 >> Bene
18 >
19 > So, you should probably migrate to the normal profiles as recommended
20 > by the vserver howto:
21 >
22 > Whoops, missed the link to the vserver howto:
23 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/vps/vserver-howto.xml
24
25 Unfortunately that doc isn't very up to date or very well written. Hell
26 the mentioned baselayout 1.13 doesn't even exist in portage.
27
28 It appears that I should.
29
30 1. Change profile from vserver to server so I don't have to go mucking
31 about in package.mask
32 2. emerge -C baselayout-vserver && emerge baselayout-2 openrc
33 3. clean up openrc baselayout issues.
34 4. Make backups, restart, and hope it doesn't explode.
35
36 That sound about right?
37
38 The other side is that I have no control over the host OS, I just pay
39 for a hosted vserver. Is any of this goes to have issues if I update the
40 quest and the host is not aware?
41
42 kashani