From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virusses on Linux [was: Re: Boot Gentoo to clean windows]
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:46:01
1 On Thursday 27 March 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
4 > Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want
5 > to hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security
6 > fixes for your software are the way to go for fighting virae on
7 > linux.
8
9 FWIW: I have been using Linux workstations for over 10 years now
10 without any virus protection. Not a single accident.
11
12 On the other hand, if you run a Linux server (say a mail server) for a
13 mixed environment you definitely want a virus scanner on your server
14 to protect your Windows clients.
15
16 Uwe
19 Informal Linux Group Namibia: