From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot Gentoo to clean windows
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:08:23
1 On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 22:13 -0400, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > Mikie wrote:
3 > > Does anyone know of a product (hopefully free) that can clean a Windows
4 > > PC while booted on Gentoo?
5 > >
6 > > I guess I need a good malware tool that runs on Linux and cleans NTFS
7 > > volumes.
8 > >
9 > > Thanks.
10 >
11 > FWIW, AntiVir, Bitdefender, and F-Prot run quite well on Linux, and each
12 > has BOTH Linux and Windows Trojan and virus signatures. So you can
13 > install these and scan your windows box, and then scan your Linux
14 > box/downloads for malware (e.g. openoffice files, media files, etc.).
15 >
16 > Add Dazuko, and you can get real-time scanning of your Linux box while
17 > downloading/compiling software.
18
19 This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
20 Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want to
21 hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security fixes for
22 your software are the way to go for fighting virae on linux.