From: Trifu Catalin Florin <sviatovigt@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New gentoo installation fails when trying to install syslog-ng
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:18:10
1 First, make sure you have emerged the kernel's sources.
2 Second, check that the newer sources have been selected: 'eselect kernel list' followed by 'eselect kernel set'.
3 Build the kernel, either using genkernel or make triumvirate (make menuconfig && make && make modules_install)
4 Install the new kernel in /boot.
5 Reboot.
6 Warning: packages that build their own kernel modules, e.g., xtables-addons, must be re-emerged prior to rebooting.
7 Rgds,
8
9 ---
10
11 :(((((((((((((((((((
12 :(((((((((((((((((((
13
14 Is it possible to compile the kernel without emerging kernel's sources?
15 I have made an installation one week ago on a virtual machine and it worked fine. The kernel on that virtual machine is 2.6.39-gentoo-r3.
16 How is it possible to use the same manual, same mirrors, same steps and still to have a different kernel version?
17 How is it possible not to work?
18
19 If I use genkernel is because I DON'T KNOW how to compile the kernel manually. This being said, sentences like:
20
21 "Warning: packages that build their own kernel modules, e.g., xtables-addons, must be re-emerged prior to rebooting."
22
23 are the Gordian knot for me.
24
25 I'm very frustrated because on gentoo's forum no one didn't answer for three days now, and on this mailing list we have changed 4-5 emails regarding how an email should be written. Meanwhile, my server is still offline.
26
27 Now, in another order of ideas:
28
29 - I have searched the internet for 2-3 days before sending an email here
30 - I didn't read the standard of how to send an email and I'm sorry for that but I didn't had time
31 - I wrote the emails using the format that seemed more "natural" for me, the newest on top having the track of emails bellow, so that anyone who sees the email can understand what's this all about, including myself; I had to search for a half an our in my emails to find the first email on another topic...
32 - I do not now how you format your emails to look the way they look, having that sentence on top with "x wrote on..." and ">" before each line of the text you keep for reply; this is why I have used standard reply from yahoo, because I didn't wanted to reinvent the wheel
33
34 - I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR EACH USER ON THIS EMAIL LIST BUT I NEED URGENT HELP ON THE TOPIC: I CANNOT INSTALL GENTOOOOOOO
35 - I AM NOT AN EXPERIENCED USER WHO CAN CREATE HIS OWN KERNEL, RE-WRITE DRIVERS AND SO ON; PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION AND IF YOU ANSWER HAVE PATIENCE
36
37 Thank you in advance!