From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:36:33
1 On 17/09/2015 18:56, james wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> On 17/09/2015 16:09, james wrote:
6 >>> Huh? You really should stay in the E&M domain, for accuracy and not
7 >>> confusing the readers.
8 >
9 >> I'm not familiar with the term "E&M"
10 >
11 > Aren't you an EE, amongst other talents?
12
13 I started an engineering degree, but got waylaid in 2nd year mostly due
14 to failing chemistry in the 1st year :-)
15
16 What I am, qualification wise, is a Electronic (Radio) Technician. The
17 old way, soldering iron in hand doing component level repairs and none
18 of this modern nonsense of replacing entire boards at 60% the price of
19 the unit. I've fixed more PSUs of every type under the sun than I care
20 to remember, and it always annoyed the blazes out of me that I was the
21 only tech who understood what I was working on <sigh>.
22
23 Only one other person ever truly grokked me about ESR wrt electrolytics
24 and why dud caps almost always read correctly on capacitance meters.
25
26 But that was a very long time ago, I left that field 15 years ago. Now
27 I'm a sysadmin, some call me a BOFH :-)
28
29 > Electricity and Magnetism (E&M)
30 > You know, what physicists call Fields and Waves....
31 > Surely you've met my friend Schroedinger?
32 > Electric fields; just for fun [1]
33
34 Yes, I recall Schroedinger, he had a very nice cat. Her spirit lives on
35 in the daft creature that meows round my kitchen. It must be the poison
36 gas from the vial, that stuff scrambles brains
41 >> For the rest, we seem to have diverged the plot somewhere.
42 >> We agree.
43 >
44 > Hey, I posted once about PS, and everybody had to pile_on (ok).
45 > The I posted again on a different sub_thread, try to avoid
46 > conflict. I know power, small signals, DSPs and quite a bit of
47 > Rf.......... Granted, my people skills, despite arduous effort,
48 > are weak, at best. That why I sit in a lab alone, and mostly
49 > contract, when something interests me...
50
51 You and I have similar problems. The computers and circuitry do what we
52 tell them do and the machines are predictable. People are ... not so
53 much. I'm now 50 and it's only in the last 5 years I've really started
54 to get a handle on it ;-)
55 >
56 > Cheers!
57 > ;-)