From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power button to shutdown for openrc? [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 10:50:16
1 On Sunday, 17 November 2019 10:30:49 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:21:18 +0100, n952162 wrote:
3 > > (in fact, that's exactly the situation that I've been confronted with
4 > > and have turned to this mailing list to help me with: X locked up, my
5 > > power-button was unresponsive so I had to force it down (holding the
6 > > power key down for 30 seconds), and on reboot TWO filesystems had to be
7 > > rebuilt by fsck, with substantial loss of organization and of data
8 > > (despite both being ext3/4 journaling filesystems - I just don't
9 > > understand that!) )
10
11 As has been mentioned before holding the power button down until the system
12 powers off is equal to a hard shutdown. No write caches are flushed, no data
13 is synced to disk and any writes could be left in mid air resulting in a
14 messed up fs. I always boot with a LiveUSB/CD and perform a fsck without
15 mounting any drives, before I will try to boot the system normally again.
16
17 If you lose power while the system is idle and no write operations are in
18 process/waiting, then you may well have no loss of data as a result.
21 > Please don't top-post on this list.
22 >
23 > Magic SysReq would probably have helped in those situations. ext3/4 only
24 > journal metadata by default, you can specify a mount option to also
25 > journal data but it impacts performance.
26
27 When X hangs and I lose the keyboard to the extent where neither Ctrl+Alt+F1,
28 or Ctrl+Alt+Del would work, I will use ssh to connect remotely and stop the
29 hanging process or restat the X server. If ssh is also not working, I use the
30 magic SysReq sequence to stop processes, sync the disks and reboot, or
31 shutdown. I don't recall losing data in such cases, although when I have time
32 I run fsck with Live media just in case.
33 --
34 Regards,
35
36 Mick