From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 01:08:22
1 On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 23:58:10 +0100, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
4 >> On 2/9/2010 3:16 AM, Dale wrote:
5 >>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:17:08 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
6 >>>> My solution to simplify Gentoo...
7 >>>>
8 >>>> waltdnes@d531 ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
9 >>>> sys-libs/pam
10 >>>> sys-apps/dbus
11 >>>> sys-apps/hal
12 >>>>
13 >>>> You'll have to do a manual depclean (very carefully) and
14 >>>> revdep-rebuild, but it's worth the effort to purify your Gentoo
15 >>>> system.
16 >>>>
17 >>
18 >>> Simpler than that, just add -hal to xorg stuff in package.use and then
19 >>> run emerge -uvDNa world.
20 >>
21 >>> I'm not saying your way won't work but I think mine is easier.
22 >>
23 >> His way is also *way* more Luddite than yours. Note the 'pam' and
24 >> 'dbus', two things basically standard (and very stable) on modern Linux
25 >> desktop systems.
26 >>
27 >> --K
30 > I don't agree with the term Luddite here. It's not being against new
31 > things and new ways of doing things. He just doesn't need those things
32 > for his hardware to work properly. Me, I don't need hal for my mouse
33 > and keyboard to work. As a matter of fact, mine doesn't work WITH hal.
34 > I have to remove hal to get mine to work.
35 >
36 > So, hal may be progress to you but it is a step backward for me. It's
37 > the opposite of progress.
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-) :-)
44 I think, that hal was a lot harder for a lot of us, than the good old
45 xorg.conf. This may because we (linux user in general) are used to
46 xorg.conf. For my personal experience, I hadn't been using linux for about
47 4 years, so I'd completely forgotten the xorg syntax, but that was still a
48 more simple process to relearn the xorg.conf syntax, than understanding
49 the hal configuration files.
50
51 A project such as hal necessarily has contact with the user with an
52 "unusual" (read: at least a non-us keyboard) setup. Therefore the syntax
53 in which it is configured has to be "easily" (read: a quick google
54 search/documentation search away) accessed by the users to whom it may be
55 necessary. And I believe that this is the point where hal truly fails,
56 other than cases like Dale's.
57 The xorg.conf is simply a more simple, and easier configuration file than
58 the various hal policies.
61 Zeerak