From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:15:20
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 23:58:10 +0100, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
5 >>> On 2/9/2010 3:16 AM, Dale wrote:
6 >>>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:17:08 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
7 >>>>> My solution to simplify Gentoo...
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> waltdnes@d531 ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
10 >>>>> sys-libs/pam
11 >>>>> sys-apps/dbus
12 >>>>> sys-apps/hal
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> You'll have to do a manual depclean (very carefully) and
15 >>>>> revdep-rebuild, but it's worth the effort to purify your Gentoo
16 >>>>> system.
17 >>>>>
18 >>>
19 >>>> Simpler than that, just add -hal to xorg stuff in package.use and then
20 >>>> run emerge -uvDNa world.
21 >>>
22 >>>> I'm not saying your way won't work but I think mine is easier.
23 >>>
24 >>> His way is also *way* more Luddite than yours. Note the 'pam' and
25 >>> 'dbus', two things basically standard (and very stable) on modern
26 >>> Linux desktop systems.
27 >>>
28 >>> --K
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> I don't agree with the term Luddite here. It's not being against new
32 >> things and new ways of doing things. He just doesn't need those
33 >> things for his hardware to work properly. Me, I don't need hal for
34 >> my mouse and keyboard to work. As a matter of fact, mine doesn't
35 >> work WITH hal. I have to remove hal to get mine to work.
36 >>
37 >> So, hal may be progress to you but it is a step backward for me.
38 >> It's the opposite of progress.
39 >>
40 >> Dale
41 >>
42 >> :-) :-)
45 > I think, that hal was a lot harder for a lot of us, than the good old
46 > xorg.conf. This may because we (linux user in general) are used to
47 > xorg.conf. For my personal experience, I hadn't been using linux for
48 > about 4 years, so I'd completely forgotten the xorg syntax, but that
49 > was still a more simple process to relearn the xorg.conf syntax, than
50 > understanding the hal configuration files.
51 >
52 > A project such as hal necessarily has contact with the user with an
53 > "unusual" (read: at least a non-us keyboard) setup. Therefore the
54 > syntax in which it is configured has to be "easily" (read: a quick
55 > google search/documentation search away) accessed by the users to whom
56 > it may be necessary. And I believe that this is the point where hal
57 > truly fails, other than cases like Dale's.
58 > The xorg.conf is simply a more simple, and easier configuration file
59 > than the various hal policies.
62 Well, actually, if hal would have worked I wouldn't have cared if it
63 uses xorg.conf at all. That was the point of using hal. Thing is, I
64 followed the howto and it didn't work. The fact that the config files
65 are in xml only became a problem after hal locked me out of my GUI and
66 required a hard shutdown.
67
68 So, hal failed on my system not just because of the config files being
69 in xml but because it just didn't work at all. Bad things is, this
70 system is a 5 year old rig. Heaven forbid I had something new that had
71 "iffy" support.
72
73 Dale
74