From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:29:48
1 > > As I have previously posted about, my host sent me an email a few days
2 > > ago stating that support tickets for 5,000-6,000 of their clients had
3 > > been broken into. I checked my records and found that my root
4 > > password had previously been submitted in a support ticket. I then
5 > > decided I needed to reinstall my system.
6 > >
7 > > I requested that my host allow me access to a second machine for 2-5
8 > > days while I switch over to a clean system, after that I would turn
9 > > the old system over to them and continue with the new system.
10 > >
11 > > My request was denied! I'm blown away by this. Was I asking too much?
14 > Information that was valuable leaked because they screw it, so, no
15 > matter what terms of service say, they must fix their own mistakes. If
16 > the machine crashes, the data center is burned down to the ground or
17 > the manager's kid pull the plug on the main server, that's a situation
18 > where they can say "not our fault, deal with it". But in your case
19 > their support system had a breach, and thus its their fault. They must
20 > provide you the means to ensure that YOUR information is safe, cause
21 > they caused the incident in the first place. You're unsure about your
22 > information, and information is money.
23 >
24 > If I were you I would be backing up my data by now, would then request
25 > a physical backup and after I get it:
26 >
27 > 1) Send them email about the actions I'm about to take.
28 > 2) Move away from their services and look for a better server.
29 > 3) Write a cool blog entry about their services and how secure they are.
30 >
31 > Of course they could answer the (1) email granting your requests and
32 > maybe you wouldn't have to take steps (2) and (3). Happened to me
33 > once.
34
35 I couldn't agree more. It feels like I should have a legal recourse
36 in this situation. My Dad is a lawyer but has no knowledge of
37 technical matters.
38
39 - Grant
40 --