From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 03:44:39
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>> As I have previously posted about, my host sent me an email a few days
3 >>> ago stating that support tickets for 5,000-6,000 of their clients had
4 >>> been broken into. I checked my records and found that my root
5 >>> password had previously been submitted in a support ticket. I then
6 >>> decided I needed to reinstall my system.
7 >>>
8 >>> I requested that my host allow me access to a second machine for 2-5
9 >>> days while I switch over to a clean system, after that I would turn
10 >>> the old system over to them and continue with the new system.
11 >>>
12 >>> My request was denied! I'm blown away by this. Was I asking too much?
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >> Information that was valuable leaked because they screw it, so, no
16 >> matter what terms of service say, they must fix their own mistakes. If
17 >> the machine crashes, the data center is burned down to the ground or
18 >> the manager's kid pull the plug on the main server, that's a situation
19 >> where they can say "not our fault, deal with it". But in your case
20 >> their support system had a breach, and thus its their fault. They must
21 >> provide you the means to ensure that YOUR information is safe, cause
22 >> they caused the incident in the first place. You're unsure about your
23 >> information, and information is money.
24 >>
25 >> If I were you I would be backing up my data by now, would then request
26 >> a physical backup and after I get it:
27 >>
28 >> 1) Send them email about the actions I'm about to take.
29 >> 2) Move away from their services and look for a better server.
30 >> 3) Write a cool blog entry about their services and how secure they are.
31 >>
32 >> Of course they could answer the (1) email granting your requests and
33 >> maybe you wouldn't have to take steps (2) and (3). Happened to me
34 >> once.
37 > I couldn't agree more. It feels like I should have a legal recourse
38 > in this situation. My Dad is a lawyer but has no knowledge of
39 > technical matters.
40 >
41 > - Grant
44 That your Dad is a lawyer may be worth mentioning to them. Just don't
45 tell them it is NOT his area of practice. May help get that #1 deal.
46
47 Dale
48