From: Emil Beinroth <emilbeinroth@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] format for eix-sync
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:54:06
1 On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 04:31:11PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
2 > I was reading in the eix man page about eix-sync, and it gave about a
3 > million options, but nowhere did I see if give a useable format for the
4 > options,
5
6 Quoting from the manpage ..
7
8 /etc/eixrc
9 Global configuration file. The variables in ~/.eixrc or from the
10 environment can override the variables set in this file.
11 See ~/.eixrc.
12
13 [snip]
14
15 ~/.eixrc
16 Per-user configuration file. The variables in this file can be
17 overridden by environment variables. You can use a shell-like
18 syntax to set the following variables. ^^^^^^^^^^
19 ^^^^^^
20
21 > I wanted to have a option line setting but I couldn't tell if it was
22 > like
23 >
24 > PRINT_SLOTS=yes or
25 > PRINT_SLOTS yes or
26 > PRINT_SLOTS="yes" or
27 > PRINT_SLOTS "yes"
28
29 As said above, eix uses shell-style configuration files so #1 and #3
30 should be fine.
31
32 > There are other permutations. Howcome the man page doesn't give something
33 > as obvious as that? Darn huge man page, after I initially found the
34 > PRINT_SLOTS defintion, it took me 10 more minutes to find out that it was
35 > supposed to go into /etc/eix-sync.
36
37 Are you sure? Normally that stuff goes into /etc/eixrc or ~/.eixrc.
38
39 > It gives a great amoount of info, but maybe it could stand some better
40 > organization, to let things get found.
41
42 Martin actually acknowledges this problem in the "BUGS" section: "There
43 are too many features: The documentation and configuration has become
44 too complicated." So it definitely could.
45
46 The *huge* list of variables could be split up into sections, for
47 example all the "MATCH_*" stuff could go into a section called "Changing
48 default match-fields".
49 But this approach is probably be better suited for formats that support
50 links, so we can have a nice table of contents. info-pages spring to
51 mind, but I hear many people don't like those.
52
53 Another way to reduce the size and complexity could be to split the
54 whole thing into multiple documents, one for each tool (eix, update-eix,
55 eix-diff and so on..).
56
57 Any thoughts or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
58
59 Cheers, Emil
62 Emil Beinroth
63 83059 Kolbermoor | Germany