From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] format for eix-sync
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:45:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Emil Beinroth wrote:
5 > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 04:31:11PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
6 >> I was reading in the eix man page about eix-sync, and it gave about a
7 >> million options, but nowhere did I see if give a useable format for the
8 >> options,
9 >
10 > Quoting from the manpage ..
11 >
12 > /etc/eixrc
13 > Global configuration file. The variables in ~/.eixrc or from the
14 > environment can override the variables set in this file.
15 > See ~/.eixrc.
16 >
17 > [snip]
18 >
19 > ~/.eixrc
20 > Per-user configuration file. The variables in this file can be
21 > overridden by environment variables. You can use a shell-like
22 > syntax to set the following variables. ^^^^^^^^^^
23 > ^^^^^^
26 Oh, I see. The system which I ssh'ed to, where _I DID_ check /etc/eixrc
27 and foound it empty had no package for eix installed, and I didn't know
28 then it was an added package. I didn't miss that, but, as I have said
29 before (enough to where I know I'm getting to be boring) that examples,
30 eithout having the syntax explained (and the man page doesn't) is a very
31 bad habit of Unix, because it seems that every programmer assumes you're
32 only going to be using their own task when they give you an example, so
33 when you don't do exactly what tey say, you're just SOL. God, I have had
34 enough of that (sorry, as you probably can tell my now, that's a real hot
35 button of mine by now).
36
37 >> I wanted to have a option line setting but I couldn't tell if it was
38 >> like
39 >>
40 >> PRINT_SLOTS=yes or
41 >> PRINT_SLOTS yes or
42 >> PRINT_SLOTS="yes" or
43 >> PRINT_SLOTS "yes"
44 >
45 > As said above, eix uses shell-style configuration files so #1 and #3
46 > should be fine.
47 >
48 >> There are other permutations. Howcome the man page doesn't give something
49 >> as obvious as that? Darn huge man page, after I initially found the
50 >> PRINT_SLOTS defintion, it took me 10 more minutes to find out that it was
51 >> supposed to go into /etc/eix-sync.
52 >
53 > Are you sure? Normally that stuff goes into /etc/eixrc or ~/.eixrc.
54
55 Well, I had no ~/.eixrc.
58 >> It gives a great amoount of info, but maybe it could stand some better
59 >> organization, to let things get found.
60 >
61 > Martin actually acknowledges this problem in the "BUGS" section: "There
62 > are too many features: The documentation and configuration has become
63 > too complicated." So it definitely could.
64
65 Well, that's not really an insurmountable problem. It makes writing the
66 man page hard, but if it's well written, it can still be read. Look at the
67 grep man page. L:ong time back (LONG time, I mean V.7 days), at first
68 there was only a grep writeup, not a man page. It gave two very well
69 detailed examples, but realizing how grep was set up, the writeup was the
70 next thing to useless, and I couldn't make any use of it until I finally
71 located a man page for it that gave all the options. You need to give at
72 least a bare summary of what each and every flag does, THEN an example can
73 be a really useful thing, but alone it sucks.. It's a real problem that it
74 seems to be the current way for programmers to get out of having to really
75 document things.
76
77 Hey, I'm not perfect, I don't like writing docs either. The only
78 typesetter I do well with is troff, and when things changed to xml, I can't
79 write things up anymore. I can do some nice things with troff (even write
80 macros) but that doesn't get me too far ennymore.
83 > The *huge* list of variables could be split up into sections, for
84 > example all the "MATCH_*" stuff could go into a section called "Changing
85 > default match-fields".
86 > But this approach is probably be better suited for formats that support
87 > links, so we can have a nice table of contents. info-pages spring to
88 > mind, but I hear many people don't like those.
89 >
90 > Another way to reduce the size and complexity could be to split the
91 > whole thing into multiple documents, one for each tool (eix, update-eix,
92 > eix-diff and so on..).
93 >
94 > Any thoughts or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
95 >
96 > Cheers, Emil
107 --
108 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list