From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:11:28
1 On 18/09/2014 10:07, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:19:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Is systemd starting to encompass too much? I think so, but who cares?
5 >>> If we want an init manager that reads systemd-like files but doesn't
6 >>> do anything else (hostnamectl, logging, udev, etc.), I guess we'll
7 >>> have to make one.
8 >>
9 >> or trim it back. Conceptually, it shouldn't be too hard to remove those
10 >> extra services leaving only an init manager.
11 >>
12 >> Reading posts over the years (I don't use systemd) most of that stuff
13 >> can be disabled by config in systemd anyway
14 >
15 > A lot of it is disabled by default anyway, you have to turn it on if you
16 > want to use it. Otherwise it's just there.
20 That's even better then.
23 I'm mildly bemused by these systemd threads - so much emotion. Me, I
24 don't have a dog in this fight so I can sit back and look at what's
25 going on.
26
27 Imagine the ISC-bind lovers going completely apeshit about unbound,
28 thinking named is about to go away forever. That's what this looks like.
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com