From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:18:27
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 April 2010 16:28:43 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder
9 >>>>
10 > to my
11 >
12 >>>> harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the
13 >>>>
14 > videos to
15 >
16 >>>> somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
17 >>>>
18 >>> These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a
19 >>>
20 > separate
21 >
22 >>> filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files
23 >>>
24 > better in my
25 >
26 >>> experience.
27 >>>
28 >> He mentioned in one of the first few posts that he regularly
29 >>
30 > has hard
31 >
32 >> shutdowns. I took that as pulling the plug. The last bit of
33 >>
34 > experience
35 >
36 >> I had with XFS, it does not like that sort of thing to happen.
37 >>
38 > Each
39 >
40 >> time I had a hard shutdown, I had to reinstall the OS. Has XFS
41 >>
42 > changed
43 >
44 >> so that power loss is not s problem or should he not use this
45 >>
46 > after all?
47 >
48 >> Would hate for the OP to use XFS if it has not improved in that
49 >>
50 > area.
51 >
52 > XFS was ropey in its early days. I had to re-install a partition
53 > once too (on a laptop!). It is much more stable now (have not
54 > had a problem in the last 4+ years).
55 >
56 > reiserfs is absolutely bullet proof here, with hundreds of
57 > crashes on a machine that had bad memory (like twice or three
58 > times a day I would have to pull the plug, for months on end
59 > until I isolated the error on a memory module).
60 >
61 > reiser4 seems to be on a class of its own in terms of
62 > performance. Perhaps not as forgiving on hard crashes as the
63 > reiserfs? Not sure. It's early days yet on this machine, but I
64 > have only praises for it so far. I just hope they incorporate it
65 > in the kernel so that I don't have to manually patch it every
66 > time.
67 >
68 > This is just my 2c's - so YMMV.
71 I haven't used XFS in several years. I was hoping that it had
72 improved. I just wanted to make sure that it had improved and that it
73 would be safe considering the OP has hard shutdowns. I wouldn't want
74 the OP to use it if he would lose data the first time he had a hard
75 shutdown. That would pretty much suck.
76
77 I agree on reiserfs tho. I use it a lot here as well. It works very
78 well for me.
79
80 Dale
81