From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 15:40:49
1 On Friday 02 April 2010 16:28:43 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:09:30 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >> Then: I often transer videos from my DVB-T-receiver/recorder
5 to my
6 > >> harddisk to cut out the advertising and to transcode the
7 videos to
8 > >> somethings better than "ts" (transport streams),
9 > >
10 > > These tend to be bigger, often in the GB range, so I'd use a
11 separate
12 > > filesystem for them with XFS, which handles large files
13 better in my
14 > > experience.
15 >
16 > He mentioned in one of the first few posts that he regularly
17 has hard
18 > shutdowns. I took that as pulling the plug. The last bit of
19 experience
20 > I had with XFS, it does not like that sort of thing to happen.
21 Each
22 > time I had a hard shutdown, I had to reinstall the OS. Has XFS
23 changed
24 > so that power loss is not s problem or should he not use this
25 after all?
26 >
27 > Would hate for the OP to use XFS if it has not improved in that
28 area.
29
30 XFS was ropey in its early days. I had to re-install a partition
31 once too (on a laptop!). It is much more stable now (have not
32 had a problem in the last 4+ years).
33
34 reiserfs is absolutely bullet proof here, with hundreds of
35 crashes on a machine that had bad memory (like twice or three
36 times a day I would have to pull the plug, for months on end
37 until I isolated the error on a memory module).
38
39 reiser4 seems to be on a class of its own in terms of
40 performance. Perhaps not as forgiving on hard crashes as the
41 reiserfs? Not sure. It's early days yet on this machine, but I
42 have only praises for it so far. I just hope they incorporate it
43 in the kernel so that I don't have to manually patch it every
44 time.
45
46 This is just my 2c's - so YMMV.
47 --