From: Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error when trying to bootstrap compiler
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:32:00
1 Hmmm...in that case I may not bother to do the stage 1 install. Thanks for
2 the input. I'll be sure to holler if I have other questions.
3
4 Shawn
7 On 12/21/05, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
8 >
9 > On 12/21/05, Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > > Hey all,
11 > >
12 > > A couple days ago my main box died so I'm trying to restore it. I've
13 > only
14 > > got a old Gentoo Live-CD (2004.2) so I'm using that. I'm doing a Stage 1
15 > > installation.
16 > >
17 > > When I get to the step of Bootstrapping the compiler I get the following
18 > > error:
19 > >
20 > > * Error: ' ' does not exist. Exiting
21 > >
22 > > In looking at scripts/bootstrap.sh
23 > >
24 > > I see that the error will be displayed if /etc/make.profile is not a
25 > valid
26 > > file. (at least that's what I think I read).
27 >
28 > I am guessing here, because it has been a long time since I did a
29 > stage1 install. But I suspect that you need to update to the current
30 > profile before running bootstrap.sh
31 >
32 > ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1 /etc/make.profile
33 >
34 > I am assuming that you have done the emerge --sync step already.
35 > Otherwise you can continue to try and bootstrap the 2004.2 profile,
36 > but YMMV.
39 > > My 2 questions are:
40 > >
41 > > 1. Why am I getting that error?
42 > > 2. Why is /etc/make.profile not getting created? # I'm assuming it
43 > should
44 > > be getting created when I unpack portage.
45 >
46 > No, unpacking portage only makes /usr/portage (since there is a "-C
47 > /usr" option for the tar command in the handbook). If it is anywhere,
48 > it would have to be in the stage1 tarball if it exists.
49 >
50 > However, keep in mind that stage1 is really not supported now, and the
51 > current handbook only covers stage3 installs. There is no
52 > optimization to be had by going the stage1 route, only more
53 > difficulty.
54 >
55 > -Richard
56 >