From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error when trying to bootstrap compiler
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:41:04
1 On 12/21/05, Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > A couple days ago my main box died so I'm trying to restore it. I've only
5 > got a old Gentoo Live-CD (2004.2) so I'm using that. I'm doing a Stage 1
6 > installation.
7 >
8 > When I get to the step of Bootstrapping the compiler I get the following
9 > error:
10 >
11 > * Error: ' ' does not exist. Exiting
12 >
13 > In looking at scripts/bootstrap.sh
14 >
15 > I see that the error will be displayed if /etc/make.profile is not a valid
16 > file. (at least that's what I think I read).
17
18 I am guessing here, because it has been a long time since I did a
19 stage1 install. But I suspect that you need to update to the current
20 profile before running bootstrap.sh
21
22 ln -s /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1 /etc/make.profile
23
24 I am assuming that you have done the emerge --sync step already.
25 Otherwise you can continue to try and bootstrap the 2004.2 profile,
26 but YMMV.
29 > My 2 questions are:
30 >
31 > 1. Why am I getting that error?
32 > 2. Why is /etc/make.profile not getting created? # I'm assuming it should
33 > be getting created when I unpack portage.
34
35 No, unpacking portage only makes /usr/portage (since there is a "-C
36 /usr" option for the tar command in the handbook). If it is anywhere,
37 it would have to be in the stage1 tarball if it exists.
38
39 However, keep in mind that stage1 is really not supported now, and the
40 current handbook only covers stage3 installs. There is no
41 optimization to be had by going the stage1 route, only more
42 difficulty.
43
44 -Richard
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list