From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Audigy 2 ZS [SB0350] problems on AMD64
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 03:57:21
1 On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:39:17 +0200
2 Daniel Vrcic <daniel.vrcic@××××××××.hr> wrote:
5 > I'm aware of the fact that OSS is deprecated and that it will be
6 > removed, but in this case I don't like that fact. Why? I have old SB
7 > Live! card, based on emu10k1 chip too, and I think that emu10k1 kernel
8 > driver gives better sound than ALSA driver. I've noticed that especially
9 > with bass lines.
12 I wouldn't doubt that as SB was initially pretty reluctant to work with
13 the open source developers.
14
15 But that card was a nightmare load on the system - 5 IRQs and 2 DMA channels
16 consumed, as I recall. It has wreaked havoc on many a system.
17
18 > I also like feature of configuring internal routes of emu10k1 chip with
19 > emu tools (I can capture TV program and listen music in the same time)
20 > and occasional front/rear channel swapping (sound on the rear channel
21 > is generated by the I2S codec - better one, while the front one is
22 > generated with analog AC97 codec).
25 Any card with hardware mixing is a great thing.
26
27 > Ok, I must admit I haven't played with ALSA too much so my question
28 > would be is this possible with ALSA, especially front/rear inverting?
31 Yes, but I've not done more than run a few things at the same time, and none
32 front/rear - I only have a 2.1 system. However, if you use KDE and ARTS,
33 it'll interfere. Linux is not as clean as WinXX nor IRIX in regards to sound.
34 They are getting there. While ALSA with dmix will allow the mixing, you'll need
35 to spend time setting it up. It might be more benefical for you to combine ALSA
36 with JACK -
37
38 [ I] media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit (0.99.0-r1): A low-latency audio server
39
40 But not every application works with JACK. So there are some helpers, but it
41 still doesn't cover everything.
42
43 If you have esearch just do an - esearch -Sc jack
44
45 Bob
46 -
47 --