From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:18:53
1 On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> Handbrake goes directly from DVD to a reasonably sized (1.3GB) m4v
6 >> file. That file plays fine in xine and looks very good. Being that the
7 >> Kindle Fire only has about 6GB available for user content that gives
8 >> me 4 movies at a time which is fine for me but I suspect I can do
9 >> better.
10 >>
11 > Handbrake had some settings that allowed me to target different file
12 > sizes. I tried both 700MB and 300MB. Both worked. The 300MB version
13 > was noticeably splotchy on backgrounds when displayed full screen on a
14 > 1920x1280 monitor, but not so much when sized to about the size of the
15 > Kindle Fire.
16 >
17 > - Mark
20 And the m4v vs mp4 item is like a non-issue for me. From the Handbrake manual:
21
22 [quote]
23 MP4 vs M4v
24
25 They are the exact same file, the only difference is the extension. MP4 vs M4v.
26
27 For MP4 files, HandBrake will automatically use the extension M4V when
28 you pass-through audio (AC3), use SRT subtitles or have chapter
29 markers enabled.
30
31 You can simply change the file extension between .mp4 and .m4v as the
32 file is exactly the same. There are no differences in the content or
33 container itself.
34
35 You can disable the option to automatically set this in HandBrakes preferences.
36 [/quote]